Ethyl Alcohol of agricultural origin
Alcoplus SpA was set up in 2005 as a joint venture between Alc.Este – with 40% of stakes being held by Italia Zuccheri and Eridania Sadam – and 60% by Caviro for the production of ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin.
From 2009 the company was controlled entirely by Caviro and in 2012 Alcoplus SpA was incorporated into Caviro Distillerie Srl through an acquisition.
The alcohol production capacity at Caviro’s Faenza plant is more than 90 million litres, thanks to a variety of distillation machineries and a range of agricultural source materials. In addition, the plant boasts a modern molecular sieve dehydration unit. Along with a warehouse for the aging of spirits (brandy), there is an inline ethyl alcohol denaturing unit.
The range of alcohol types we produce on site varies from those to be used in the food and beverage industry (spirits and brandy), to those fit for various industrial purposes (including cosmetic and pharmaceutical use) and those for the energy sector.
International industry certifications
Caviro is proud to comply with the following recognised international industry certifications – ISO 9001– 2008, IFS and BRC.
ISO 9001 – 2008 – The International Organization for Standardization represents an international consensus on good quality management practices. It consists of standards and guidelines relating to quality management systems and related supporting standards.
ISO 9001:2008 is the standard that provides a set of standardized requirements for a quality management system, regardless of what the user organization does, its size, or whether it is in the private, or public sector. It is the only standard against which organizations can be certified – although certification is not a compulsory requirement of the standard.
IFS – The International Food Standard is based on the ever-rising demands of consumers, the increasing liabilities of retailers and wholesalers, the increasing legal requirements and the globalisation of product supplies. The objectives of the IFS are:
• To establish a common standard with a uniform evaluation system
• To work with accredited certification bodies and well-qualified and approved auditors
• To ensure comparability and transparency throughout the entire supply chain
• To reduce costs and time for both suppliers and retailers.
BRC – The British Retail Consortium is the lead trade association representing the whole range of retailers, from the large multiples and department stores through to independents, selling a wide selection of products through centre of town, out of town, rural and virtual stores. The objectives of the BRC are:
• Campaigning to promote and defend retailers’ interests
• Advising retailers of threats and opportunities to their business
• Improving the perceptions of retailing in the UK
• Offering members a range of services and products which add value to their business
ISO 14001:2004 – Caviro has been granted the Environmental Management System Certificate – ISO 14001:2004 – for the development, production and trade of: wine, by-products and services.
ISO 14001:2004 is applicable to any organisation that wishes to establish, implement, maintain and improve an environmental management system, to assure itself of conformity with its stated environmental policy, and to demonstrate conformity with ISO 14001:2004 by
• Making a self-determination and self-declaration, or
• Seeking confirmation of its conformance by parties having an interest in the organisation, such as customers, or
• Seeking confirmation of its self-declaration by a party external to the organisation, or
• Seeking certification/registration of its environmental management system by an external organisation.
All the requirements in ISO 14001:2004 are intended to be incorporated into any environmental management system. The extent of the application will depend on factors such as the environmental policy of the organisation, the nature of its activities, products and services and the location where and the conditions in which it functions.
OHSAS 18001:2007 – Caviro adheres to the OHSAS 18001:2007 certification concerning a system of management pertaining to the Health and Safety of our employees, identifying potential hazards, problems and issues and eliminating where possible.
OHSAS 18001 provides a framework to the effective management of OH&S including compliance with the legislation that applies to our activities and identified hazards.
The standard is applicable to any organisation that wishes to eliminate or minimize risk to employees and other stakeholders who may be exposed to OH&S risks associated with its activities.
What are the benefits of OHSAS 18001?
• Customer satisfaction – through delivery of products that consistently meet customer requirements whilst safeguarding their health and property
• Reduced operating costs – by decreasing down-time through incidents and ill health and reducing costs associated with legal fees and compensation
• Improved stakeholder relationships – by safeguarding the health and property of staff, customers and suppliers
• Legal compliance – by understanding how statutory and regulatory requirements impact the organization and its customers
• Improved risk management – through clear identification of potential incidents and implementation of controls and measures
• Proven business credentials – through independent verification against recognized standards.